Ryan Sciacchitano, BKin, CSCS, CISSN
Tracey Teasdale, ND, CISSN
Pupil Scholarship – 1st Place Analysis Assessment
Osteoarthritis (OA) is characterised by degeneration of the articular cartilage of a joint, in addition to the related joint lining, ligaments, and underlying bone.1 OA is strongly related to advancing age, with common onset occurring within the fifth decade of life.2 An estimated 30% of Canadians have been recognized, 51.Three% of whom are below the age of 65.2 In Canada the productiveness prices of labor loss (PCWL) related to OA elevated to $17.5 billion in 2008.Three The burden on the healthcare system can be alarming, with the full annual value per affected person estimated at roughly US $5700.Four This doesn’t embrace the roughly 39% of individuals with OA who reported an lack of ability to entry wanted healthcare companies, mostly attributable to OA’s debilitating results.5
At present, no treatment exists for OA.1 Acupuncture6 and corticosteroid injection7 have proven essentially the most efficacy in lowering acute ache. Nevertheless, the analysis analyzing acupuncture for OA is of poor high quality,6 and corticosteroid injections have regarding systemic results (eg, disturbed management of diabetes and hypertension, facial flushing, inhibition of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis, sepsis, and dying in very uncommon circumstances), and its long-term security has not been addressed in a passable method.7 Joint substitute surgical procedures have gotten extra efficacious, however the associated fee is overwhelming, with an estimated $42.2 billion spent on knee and hip replacements in america, alone, in 2009.eight This text examines the impact of prolotherapy on OA as a cheap strategy to enhancing medical outcomes.
OA Therapy Tips
Present standard medical therapy for OA focuses on decreasing and controlling ache, minimizing incapacity, and educating sufferers and their households in regards to the illness.9 Non-pharmacologic therapies are thought-about first-line therapies, to be carried out earlier than use of pharmacologic brokers (see Desk 1).10
Desk 1. Standard OA Remedies & Therapeutic Objectives10,11
|Relaxation and restricted use of affected joint||Lower ache and irritation|
|Weight discount (if needed)||Lower stress on weight-bearing joints|
|Warmth remedy||Lower ache|
|Train (vary of movement, strengthening, and aquatic-based workouts)||Enhance mobility, lower ache and stress on the joint; common strengthening of quadriceps12 and hip abductors and adductors13 has been proven to scale back knee ache related to OA|
|Occupational remedy evaluation||Assess present talents in performing each day actions and potential want for ambulatory aids|
|Affected person teaching programs||Enhance general medical outcomes14,15|
If non-pharmacologic therapies will not be thought-about passable, prescribed drugs are then thought-about for discount of ache and swelling and elevated joint perform. They’re listed in Desk 2 within the typical order practitioner considers implementing them.
Desk 2. Pharmaceutical Remedies for OA10,11
|Conventional NSAIDs (eg, aspirin, ibuprofen)|
|Selective COX-2 inhibitors (eg, celecoxib)|
|Meloxicam (COX-1 and COX-2 inhibitor; preferential for COX-2)|
|Opioids (eg, codeine)|
|Tramadol (opiate-like analgesic)|
|Intra-articular corticosteroid injection (eg, methylprednisolone and triamcinolone)|
|Hyaluronic acid injection|
If the response to those therapies is insufficient, standard medical observe additionally considers joint substitute surgical procedure as a possible therapy.9 Good proof exists exhibiting considerably optimistic advantages on the short- and long-term high quality of life in sufferers after this process.16 Osteotomy can be thought-about, however is much less widespread, as it’s at present considered as a short-term measure, probably solely delaying full joint substitute.17
Naturopathic drugs is changing into more and more outstanding within the therapy of OA, as current studies counsel that roughly 60-90% of dissatisfied arthritis sufferers are more likely to search complementary and various drugs.18 Naturopathic docs usually start with lots of the therapies listed in Desk 1, after which proceed with acupuncture and dietary suggestions particular to every affected person. Widespread dietary supplements carried out for OA are reviewed in Desk Three.
Desk Three. Widespread Naturopathic Dietary supplements
|Therapy||Dose & Period||Efficacy of Therapy|
|Curcumin||Mostly 1 g/d in divided doses, minimal Four-6 wk||Enchancment in ache on Visible Analogue Scale (VAS; imply distinction -2.04), and imply Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Arthritis Index (WOMAC) rating of 15.3619|
|Vitamin D||60 000 IU/d X 10 d, then 60 000 IU as soon as/mo X 12 mo20
50,000 IU/month X 2 y21
|Improved WOMAC scores with out reaching minimal medical vital distinction; small lower in short-term signs20
No change in MRI-measured tibial cartilage quantity or WOMAC knee ache21
|Glucosamine / Chondroitin sulfate||800 mg/d, 1-Three y
1500 mg/d, 1-Three y
|Every individually confirmed no distinction vs placebo after 1 12 months of therapy. Might delay radiologic development of OA after 2-Three years of therapy,22,23 however threat of publication bias exists,24 with some research exhibiting no impact.25 The mix in contrast equally to celecoxib, with fewer uncomfortable side effects.26|
|Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM)||1.125 g TID X 12 wk27
5 g/d X 6 mo28
|Small enchancment in WOMAC bodily perform and complete scores, however not in WOMAC ache or stiffness scores27
In contrast favorably to glucosamine when mixed with Boswellia28
|Fish oil||1332 mg with 600 mg omega-Three/d X 26 wk29
Four.5 g mixed EPA/DHA/d vs zero.45 g mixed EPA/DHA + sunflower oil/d X 2 y30
|Improves results of glucosamine sulfate on WOMAC scale29
Solely the zero.45 g group reached minimal 12-point enchancment in WOMAC perform; increased dose much less efficient30
|Boswellia serrata||350 mg curcumin, 150 mg Boswellia (75% boswellic acids) per day X 12 wk31
333 mg Boswellia (minimal 40% boswellic acids) per day X eight wk32
|When mixed with curcumin, carried out higher on symptom-scoring and medical examination than celecoxib31
Decreased knee ache, elevated knee flexion, and elevated strolling distance in a small randomized managed trial32
|Pure eggshell membrane (NEM)||500 mg/d X 30-60 d||WOMAC scores didn’t enhance considerably, though the authors calculated an NNT (quantity wanted to deal with) of 5 for a 50% discount in ache in medical observe. The danger of publication bias exists attributable to doable battle of curiosity.33|
|Ginger||750 mg/d X 12 wk34
133 mg TID (ginger extract) X Three wk35
|Enchancment on WOMAC scores; higher enchancment when mixed with diclofenac (which was additionally higher than diclofenac alone)34
Inferior magnitude of impact than ibuprofen; barely higher than placebo35
|Harpagophytum procumbens (satan’s claw)||2400 mg doloteffin (50 mg harpagoside) X 12 wk36
650 mg complete mixed satan’s claw, curcumin, bromelain; length unknown37
2610 mg X Four mo38
|Unblinded examine demonstrated enchancment in complete WOMAC rating (imply distinction 12.6) and VAS rating for ache (25.eight%)36
Vital reductions in each acute and persistent ache on VAS when mixed with turmeric and bromelain37
At the least as efficient as a reference drug (diacerhein) and decreased the necessity for NSAIDs38
Observe: For research utilizing the WOMAC scale, a 12-point enchancment is taken into account the minimal medical vital distinction.
Prolotherapy (from “proliferative remedy”) includes the injection of a hyperosmolar dextrose resolution.39 It was formalized by George Hackett, a common surgeon in america, who had been utilizing this therapy clinically for over 30 years.40 The answer acts as an irritant, which is usually injected right into a joint house, tendinous insertion, or ligament. Options aside from dextrose have been used (phenol-glycerine-glucose, and morrhuate sodium); nonetheless, the dextrose resolution is mostly researched and used clinically. The targets and prompt advantages embrace improved joint stability, biomechanics, and performance, in addition to decreased ache.41 Unwanted effects largely contain minor ache related to the needle puncture, with no severe adversarial results having been reported. The purported mechanism of motion isn’t well-defined in scientific literature.39 It’s prompt that when the dextrose resolution is injected, it creates an inflammatory response as a result of osmotic rupture of native cells, in addition to an upregulation of the expression of platelet-derived progress elements. That is thought-about to be efficient largely due to the poor blood provide that joint cavities, tendons, and ligaments usually obtain. In essence, prolotherapy recruits the physique’s personal cells to those broken sights to hurry therapeutic and restore tissue that the physique is notoriously sluggish at therapeutic. In-vitro research clearly point out a speedy elevation of progress think about chondrocytes, however this has but to be demonstrated in vivo.41 So far, eight human medical trials, together with 6 randomized managed trials, have been carried out on prolotherapy for OA. Their outcomes are summarized in Desk Four.
Desk Four. Prolotherapy & Current Scientific Analysis
|Scientific Trial||% Dextrose||Injection Schedule||Abstract of Outcomes|
|Sert; 201642||Unspecified||zero, Three, 6 weeks||VAS rating and all WOMAC scores decreased considerably within the prolotherapy group vs the saline injection group and management group on the 18-wk follow-up; all teams given the identical residence train program|
|Rabago; 201543||25% intra-articular, 15% extra-articular||Weeks 1, 5, 9; wk 13 and 17 non-compulsory||Vital enchancment from baseline on WOMAC scale. Ache, stiffness, and performance all improved steadily by means of the length of the examine, with a mean enchancment of 20.9 factors at 52 wk. 53 individuals had been thought-about responders, whereas 12 noticed no enchancment or worsening, attributed partly to not following post-injection directions, ie, partaking in heavy train quickly thereafter.|
|Rabago; 201444||25% intra-articular, 15% extra-articular||Weeks 1, 5, 9; wk 13 and 17 non-compulsory||Common composite rating change on WOMAC was 16.5 over 1 12 months. Most individuals skilled near-maximum enchancment by 24 wk and remained secure by means of 1 12 months.|
|Jahangiri; 201445||20%||1, 2, Three months||Higher outcomes had been noticed for the corticosteroid group at 1 mo; the teams had been comparable at 2 mo; and extra favorable outcomes had been noticed within the prolotherapy group at 6 mo. Each teams noticed enhancements, however prolotherapy gave the impression to be simpler by way of complete perform.|
|Rabago; 201346||25% intra-articular, 15% extra-articular||Weeks 1, 5, 9; wk 13 and 17 non-compulsory||The prolotherapy group confirmed progressive enhancements over the course of 52 wk. The typical enchancment rating at 52 wk on WOMAC was 15.32, or 24%. The management teams (saline, train) additionally confirmed enchancment, however considerably lower than the prolotherapy group.|
|Rabago; 201247||25% intra-articular, 15% extra-articular||Weeks 1, 5, 9; wk 13 and 17 non-compulsory||A 15.9 level complete enchancment on the WOMAC scale (36.1%) noticed at 12 wk and maintained by means of the 52-wk examine length. Feminine gender, age 46-65 y, and BMI of 25 or much less had been related to higher enhancements.|
|Reeves; 200041||10%||zero, 2, Four months||Ache with finger motion improved considerably extra within the prolotherapy group (42%) vs management (15%). Flexion vary of movement additionally improved extra within the prolotherapy group. Ache at relaxation and with gripping improved greater than placebo, however these outcomes weren’t statistically vital.|
|Reeves; 200048||10%||zero, 2, Four months||At 6 months, ache, swelling, buckling episodes, and knee flexion vary had been considerably improved within the intervention group vs placebo.
At 12 months, additional lower in ache (general 44% lower), swelling (general 63% lower), knee buckling (general 85% decreased frequency), and flexion vary (general 14 diploma enhance).
Statistically vital enhancements had been present in osteophyte grades, cartilage thickness, and proximal tibial width.
OA is a quite common dysfunction, with an anticipated rise in prevalence2 that may enhance the already large burden on the healthcare systemeight and workforce.5 Most present therapies are unsatisfactory, solely concentrating on symptom administration, and have to be maintained all through the affected person’s life.
Whereas the physique of proof might not but be ample, the purported vital long-term, sustained profit, together with the decreased use of ache drugs and relative security of the therapy, make prolotherapy a really interesting choice to practitioners. Nevertheless, prolotherapy can’t as but be thought-about a first-line possibility for the therapy of OA as a result of vital data remains to be missing. For instance, standardized dosages, formulations, and therapy schedules haven’t been established, with some authors attributing a couple of adversarial results to presumably utilizing too excessive of a dose and complete quantity of fluid of their examine. This lack of consistency can result in potential confusion when making an attempt to use these outcomes clinically. Based mostly on the analysis to-date, 25% intra-articular and 15% extra-articular injections at 1, 5, and 9 weeks could be essentially the most evidence-based strategy, permitting for regeneration of each cartilage and surrounding tender tissue. Bigger trials with each biomechanical and imaging measures are wanted to find out the true medical good thing about prolotherapy.
- Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention. Osteoarthritis Reality Sheet. Final up to date February 2, 2017. CDC Website online. http://www.cdc.gov/arthritis/fundamentals/osteoarthritis.htm. Accessed October 29, 2015.
- MacDonald KV, Sanmartin C, Langlois Ok, Marshall DA. Symptom onset, analysis and administration of osteoarthritis. Modified November 27, 2015. Statistics Canada Website online. http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-003-x/2014009/article/14087-eng.htm. Accessed October 29, 2015.
- Sharif B, Garner R, Hennessy D, et al. Productiveness prices of labor loss related to osteoarthritis in Canada from 2010 to 2031. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2017;25(2):249-258.
- Maetzel A, Li LC, Pencharz J, et al. The financial burden related to osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and hypertension: a comparative examine. Ann Rheum Dis. 2004;63(Four):395-401.
- Hagglund KJ, Clark MJ, Hilton SA, Hewett JE. Entry to healthcare companies amongst individuals with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2005;84(9):702-711.
- Corbett MS, Rice SJ, Madurasinghe V, et al. Acupuncture and different bodily therapies for the aid of ache attributable to osteoarthritis of the knee: community meta-analysis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2013;21(9):1290-1298.
- Kruse DW. Intraarticular cortisone injection for osteoarthritis of the hip. Is it efficient? Is it protected? Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2008;1(Three-Four):227-233.
- Murphy L, Helmick CG. The influence of osteoarthritis in america: a population-health perspective. Am J Nurs. 2012;112(Three Suppl 1):S13-S19.
- Brasington R, Hsia E, O’Hanlon Ok, Murray J. Osteoarthritis. December 10, 2010. Scientific Key – First Seek the advice of Website online. https://ezproxy.ccnm.edu:2402/#!/subject/osteoarthritis?scrollTo=%2384691. [Members-only access] Accessed October 30, 2015.
- Sinusas Ok. Osteoarthritis: analysis and therapy. Am Fam Doctor. 2012;85(1):49-56.
- Manek NJ, Lane NE. Osteoarthritis: present ideas in analysis and administration. Am Fam Doctor. 2000;61(6):1795-1804.
- Jenkinson CM, Doherty M, Avery AJ, et al. Results of dietary intervention and quadriceps strengthening workouts on ache and performance in obese individuals with knee ache: randomised managed trial. BMJ. 2009;18;339:b3170.
- Bennell KL, Hunt MA, Wrigley TV, et al. Hip strengthening reduces signs however not knee load in individuals with medial knee osteoarthritis and varus malalignment: a randomised managed trial. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2010;18(5):621-628.
- Poulsen E, Hartvigsen J, Christensen HW, et al. Affected person schooling with or with out handbook remedy in comparison with a management group in sufferers with osteoarthritis of the hip. A proof-of-principle three-arm parallel group randomized medical trial. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2013;21(10):1494-1503.
- Coleman S, Briffa NK, Carroll G, et al. A randomised managed trial of a self-management schooling program for osteoarthritis of the knee delivered by well being care professionals. Arthritis Res Ther. 2012;14(1):R21.
- Shan L, Shan B, Suzuki A, et al. Intermediate and Lengthy-Time period High quality of Life After Complete Knee Substitute. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015;97(2):156-168.
- Stukenborg-Colsman C, Wirth CJ, Lazovic D, Wefer A. Excessive tibial osteotomy versus unicompartmental joint substitute in unicompartmental knee joint osteoarthritis: 7-10-year follow-up potential randomised examine. Knee. 2001;eight(Three):187-194.
- Ahmed S, Anuntiyo J, Malemud CJ, Haqqi TM. Organic foundation for the usage of botanicals in osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis: a overview. Evid Based mostly Complement Alternat Med. 2005;2(Three):301-308.
- Every day J, Yang M, Park S. Efficacy of Turmeric Extracts and Curcumin for Assuaging the Signs of Joint Arthritis: A Systematic Assessment and Meta-Evaluation of Randomized Scientific Trials. J Med Meals. 2016;19(eight):717-729.
- Sanghi D, Mishra A, Sharma AC, et al. Does vitamin D enhance osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized managed pilot trial. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013;471(11):3556-3562.
- Jin X, Jones G, Cicuttini F, et al. Impact of Vitamin D Supplementation on Tibial Cartilage Quantity and Knee Ache Amongst Sufferers With Symptomatic Knee Osteoarthritis: A Randomized Scientific Trial. JAMA. 2016;315(10):1005-1013.
- Lee YH, Woo JH, Choi SJ, et al. Impact of glucosamine or chondroitin sulfate on the osteoarthritis development: a meta-analysis. Rheumatol Int. 2010;30(Three):357-363.
- Hochberg MC. Construction-modifying results of chondroitin sulfate in knee osteoarthritis: an up to date meta-analysis of randomized placebo-controlled trials of 2-year length. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2010;18 Suppl 1:S28-S31.
- Eriksen P, Bartels EM, Altman RD, et al. Threat of Bias and Model Clarify the Noticed Inconsistency in Trials on Glucosamine for Symptomatic Reduction of Osteoarthritis: A Meta‐Evaluation of Placebo‐Managed Trials. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2014;66(12):1844-1855.
- Wandel S, Jüni P, Tendal B, et al. Results of glucosamine, chondroitin, or placebo in sufferers with osteoarthritis of hip or knee: community meta-analysis. BMJ. 2010;341:c4675.
- Hochberg MC, Martel-Pelletier J, Monfort J, et al. Mixed chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine for painful knee osteoarthritis: a multicentre, randomised, double-blind, non-inferiority trial versus celecoxib. Ann Rheum Dis. 2016;75(1):37-44.
- Debbi E, Agar G, Fichman G, et al. Efficacy of methylsulfonylmethane supplementation on osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized managed examine. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2011;11:50.
- Notarnicola A, Maccagnano G, Moretti L, et al. Methylsulfonylmethane and boswellic acids versus glucosamine sulfate within the therapy of knee arthritis: Randomized trial. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2016;29(1):140-146.
- Gruenwald, J, Petzold E, Busch R, et al. Impact of glucosamine sulfate with or with out omega-Three fatty acids in sufferers with osteoarthritis. Adv Ther. 2009;26(9):858-871.
- Hill CL, March LM, Aitken D, et al. Fish oil in knee osteoarthritis: a randomised medical trial of low dose versus excessive dose. Ann Rheum Dis. 2016;75(1):23-29.
- Kizhakkedath R. Scientific analysis of a formulation containing Curcuma longa and Boswellia serrata extracts within the administration of knee osteoarthritis. Mol Med Rep. 2013;eight(5):1542-1548.
- Kimmatkar N, Thawani V, Hingorani L, Khiyani R. Efficacy and tolerability of Boswellia serrata extract in therapy of osteoarthritis of knee–a randomized double blind placebo managed trial. Phytomedicine. 2003;10(1):Three-7.
- Ruff Ok, Winkler A, Jackson R, et al. Eggshell membrane within the therapy of ache and stiffness from osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized, multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled medical examine. Clin Rheumatol. 2009;28(eight):907-914.
- Paramdeep G. Efficacy and tolerability of ginger (Zingiber officinale) in sufferers of osteoarthritis of knee. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2013;57(2):177-183.
- Bliddal H, Rosetzsky A, Schlichting P, et al. A randomized, placebo-controlled, cross-over examine of ginger extracts and ibuprofen in osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2000;eight(1):9-12.
- Wegener T, Lüpke N. Therapy of sufferers with arthrosis of hip or knee with an aqueous extract of satan’s claw (Harpagophytum procumbens DC.). Phytother Res. 2003;17(10):1165-1172.
- Conrozier T, Mathieu P, Bonjean M, et al. A fancy of three pure anti-inflammatory brokers supplies aid of osteoarthritis ache. Altern Ther Well being Med. 2014;20 Suppl 1:32-37.
- Leblan D, Chantre P, Fournié B. Harpagophytum procumbens within the therapy of knee and hip osteoarthritis. 4-month outcomes of a potential, multicenter, double-blind trial versus diacerhein. Joint Bone Backbone. 2000;67(5):462-467.
- Distel LM, Greatest TM. Prolotherapy: a medical overview of its function in treating persistent musculoskeletal ache. PM R. 2011;Three(6 Suppl 1):S78-S81.
- Hauser RA, Hauser MA. A Retrospective Research on Hackett-Hemwall Dextrose Prolotherapy for Persistent Shoulder Ache at an Outpatient Charity Clinic in Rural Illinois. J Prolotherapy. 2009;1(Four):205-216.
- Reeves Ok, Hassanein Ok. Randomized, potential, placebo-controlled double-blind examine of dextrose prolotherapy for osteoarthritic thumb and finger (DIP, PIP, and trapeziometacarpal) joints: proof of medical efficacy. J Altern Complement Med. 2000;6(Four):311-320.
- Sert A, Ozcan E, Esmaeilzadeh S. Poster 383 Results of Dextrose Prolotherapy within the Therapy of Sufferers with Knee Osteoarthritis: A Randomized Managed Trial. PM R. 2016;eight(9S):S286.
- Rabago D, Mundt M, Zgierska A, Grettie J. Hypertonic dextrose injection (prolotherapy) for knee osteoarthritis: Long run outcomes. Complement Ther Med. 2015;23(Three):388-395.
- Rabago D, Patterson J, Mundt M, et al. Dextrose and morrhuate sodium injections (prolotherapy) for knee osteoarthritis: a potential open-label trial. J Altern Complement Med. 2014;20(5):383-391.
- Jahangiri A, Moghaddam F, Najafi S. Hypertonic dextrose versus corticosteroid native injection for the therapy of osteoarthritis within the first carpometacarpal joint: a double-blind randomized medical trial. J Orthop Sci. 2014;19(5):737-743.
- Rabago D, Patterson J, Mundt M, Kijowski R. Dextrose Prolotherapy for Knee Osteoarthritis: A Randomized Managed Trial. Ann Fam Med. 2013;11(Three):229-237.
- Rabago D, Zgierska A, Fortney L, et al. Hypertonic dextrose injections (prolotherapy) for knee osteoarthritis: outcomes of a single-arm uncontrolled examine with 1-year follow-up. J Altern Complement Med. 2012;18(Four):408-414.
- Reeves Ok, Hassanein Ok. Randomized potential double-blind placebo-controlled examine of dextrose prolotherapy for knee osteoarthritis with or with out ACL laxity. Altern Ther Well being Med. 2000;6(2):68-74,77-80.
Picture Copyright: <a href=’https://www.123rf.com/profile_magiceyes’>magiceyes / 123RF Inventory Photograph</a>
Ryan Sciacchitano, BKin, CSCS, CISSN, is a Fourth-year intern on the Canadian School of Naturopathic Medication. By his a few years as an athlete, together with competing for the College of Toronto varsity soccer group and Toronto FC, Ryan developed a fascination for optimum well being and efficiency. His present targets revolve round buying, creating, and increasing his data to be able to assist others notice their full potential in well being and athletics.
Tracey Teasdale, ND, CISSN, is a naturopathic physician and sports activities nutritionist in non-public observe in Barrie, Ontario; she can be a sports activities drugs medical supervisor on the Canadian School of Naturopathic Medication. Dr Teasdale is a printed creator and recipient of the Sport Data Useful resource Centre’s Analysis Growth Award for her analysis on trigger-point remedy and ache administration. Her ardour lies in maximizing her affected person’s potential, in each sport and life.