Do you know that when ready appropriately, mashed cauliflower has a really comparable texture to mashed potatoes, to not point out a candy and buttery style?
I occur to like potatoes, however most of us within the U.S. are getting approach too many starchy white meals in our eating regimen anyway. (Fries anybody?)
This cauliflower mashed potatoes recipe (or “fauxtatoes” as I prefer to name it) is a superb aspect dish for Thanksgiving or different holidays, or for a wholesome household dinner any evening of the week.
Why Eat Mashed Cauliflower (and Not Mashed Potatoes)?
Completely, a potato has some dietary advantages and a baked potato beats processed Frankenstein “meals” each time. Nonetheless, it may’t prime cauliflower from a well being perspective.
Right here’s why cauliflower guidelines:
- Decrease Carbohydrate Load – Based on the USDA web site, one small potato accommodates over 20 grams of carbohydrates. Cauliflower, compared? A mere 5.three grams. We completely want carbohydrates for vitality, however consuming too many can work towards us.
- Fewer Pesticides – Potatoes rank excessive on the record of meals closely sprayed with pesticides. In equity, non-organic cauliflower is on the record as nicely however ranks a lot decrease (higher). When natural isn’t out there, cauliflower is a more sensible choice.
- Balanced Protein and Fiber – A white potato seems to win this one, with a number of tenths of a gram extra protein than cauliflower and about the identical quantity of fiber (in case you eat the pores and skin). Then again, cauliflower does supply a extra balanced amino acid profile.
- Nutrient Dense – It’s true potatoes pack a whole lot of vitamin C and a great quantity of B6, potassium, and iron. Nonetheless, only a cup of cauliflower accommodates nearly 30 mg extra vitamin C than a potato, comparable ranges of B6 and folate, and an additional dose of vitamin Ok. (To provide potatoes their due, they’re larger in potassium than cauliflower … once more, provided that you eat the pores and skin.)
So learn how to win your loved ones over to this better-for-you mashed potato various?
Right here’s how:
Make Good Mashed Cauliflower (Children Will Eat!)
That is one substitute that I believe truly tastes higher than the unique recipe! Actually, a pal made these for her husband and he even didn’t understand it was truly cauliflower. Veggies for the win!
Most youngsters received’t flinch on the distinction, and you’ll relaxation pleased understanding you’re squeezing in additional vitamins. Prime with melted cheese and even essentially the most adamant of veggie haters will give it a attempt.
Right here’s learn how to make it visitor (and child) worthy:
Mashed Cauliflower Potatoes
A extra nutritious model of mashed potatoes made with buttery cauliflower as a substitute!
- 1-2 heads of recent cauliflower, roughly chopped into uniform, massive items (or 1-2 baggage of frozen)
- four TBSP butter
- 2 TBSP cream cheese or bitter cream (elective)
- 2 TBSP or extra parmesan, grated (elective)
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder, and different spices to style
- Deliver a pair quarts of water to a boil in a big pot or pan.
- Add cauliflower and prepare dinner till tender. (I suppose you possibly can additionally use a microwave, however I’ve by no means tried since we do not have one and do not use them!)
- Drain nicely. Switch cooked cauliflower to massive bowl and add butter and elective bitter cream (or cream cheese) and parmesan.
- Use immersion blender or hand mixer to mix till easy and creamy. That is a very powerful step … chunks of cauliflower are a giveaway!
- Sprinkle with additional cheese (if desired) and serve heat. Prime with recent chopped parsley or chives for a pleasant garnish!
Possibility for Immediate Pot:
- Wash and quarter cauliflower, take away leaves and stem.
- Add steamer/trivet basket to Immediate Pot together with 1 cup water. Add cauliflower items.
- Set to handbook excessive stress for four minutes.
- Manually vent/launch stress. Open, drain, and take away inside basket.
- Gently squeeze any remaining liquid out of cauliflower and return to pot.
- Add different components and whip till creamy!
Serving Measurement three/four cup
Quantity Per Serving
% Day by day Worth
Whole Fats 7.three g
Saturated Fats four.Eight g
Ldl cholesterol 19 mg
Sodium 48 mg
Whole Carbohydrates three.6 g
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 2 g
* P.c Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2,00zero calorie eating regimen. Your each day values could also be larger or decrease relying in your calorie wants.
Extra of a visible individual? Try my 90-second video tutorial right here:
Suggestions for Success
If you happen to’ve tried making mashed cauliflower earlier than and didn’t love the outcome, don’t be afraid to attempt once more utilizing the next suggestions:
- You should definitely drain the cooked cauliflower nicely and squeeze out any further liquid earlier than the mashing and whipping step
- Don’t simply mash, whip! My most popular technique is an immersion blender proper within the pot to get the “potatoes” good and ethereal.
- Costume it up! Prime with grass-fed butter, crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, and/or recent or dried herbs.
Mashed Cauliflower Variations
Dairy Free Mashed Cauliflower
I haven’t personally made this recipe dairy-free (right here’s my tackle that), however respected manufacturers of butter-flavored coconut oil together with just a little coconut milk to loosen up the feel would in all probability work nicely. (p.s. If you happen to’re suspicious about “flavored” coconut oil right here’s one rationalization.)
Immediate Pot and Different Cooking Choices
Once I first posted this recipe I obtained a number of questions on why I boil the cauliflower as a substitute of steaming to protect vitamins. I get the very best texture outcomes getting ready the cauliflower this manner, however so long as you begin with tender (however not overcooked and mushy) cauliflower, just about any cooking technique will work. (I take it again … no microwaving!)
p.s. The Immediate Pot is a superb resolution to this debate and truly does an amazing job of preserving vitamins. If you happen to’re new to it, right here’s the place I weigh in on my favourite Immediate Pot mannequin and cooking suggestions!
Will you do this mashed cauliflower recipe as a substitute of mashed potatoes? If you happen to’re a mashed cauliflower believer, have any tricks to share? Please let me know within the feedback!