My husband and I lately had a crash course in emergency preparation as a result of we occurred to be visiting Orlando when hurricane Irma got here via. Simply to be clear—we have been secure and safe, however have been unable to journey dwelling earlier than the storm arrived. We have been very lucky and my coronary heart goes out to the many individuals struggling in hurricane-damaged areas.
What I discovered from the expertise is the worth of planning forward. I feel that is particularly essential for individuals dwelling with well being situations and I’m making use of these classes at dwelling to be higher ready for emergency conditions.
We have been on trip in Orlando and didn’t have entry to a automotive or those who we knew, however we have been in an space the place it was secure (so long as we stayed inside) and will get provides to carry us over. Whereas we tried to get an earlier flight out, we have been unsuccessful and so as a substitute took the time to organize ourselves for hunkering down inside for a day or two. As an alternative of flying, we may have rented a automotive. However I used to be touring with my motorized wheelchair (which doesn’t fold up) and we have been involved that getting caught on the highway (which many individuals did) would really be worse and tougher with my RA and well being points.
Listed below are the information that I can share from this expertise to contemplate for emergency preparation:
- Make a plan that is smart to your scenario. For me, it didn’t make sense to try to drive dwelling not solely as a result of my motorized wheelchair doesn’t match right into a automotive however as a result of my physique couldn’t deal with being caught by the highway or not having a snug place to sleep. In our case, as a result of we had secure shelter, it made sense to remain there with some planning forward and provides. Whereas I’d have somewhat flown dwelling, it was higher to not be caught both on the airport or on the highway.
- Plan for additional time whereas sheltering in place. The steerage we obtained was that we would want to remain inside for about 24 hours for the hurricane. We deliberate on probably an additional day or so in case of unpolluted up or issues of safety as a consequence of hurricane injury.
- Hold additional treatment with you. Fortunately I deliver additional treatment after I journey and so I had a pair additional days with me. We additionally occurred to have my biologic medication with me as a result of our journey fell throughout that day. With biologics you additionally want to contemplate refrigeration or maintaining the treatment cool, so that is one thing to bear in mind. We flew dwelling three days later than initially deliberate so I used to be nearly out of medicines, which implies after we journey sooner or later I’ll deliver extra.
- Fill up on water, meals with protein, and meals that don’t want refrigeration. We purchased extra water than we thought we’d want, however ended up utilizing all of it. Actually, you’ll be able to’t have an excessive amount of water available as a result of you’ll finally drink it. Stocking up on meals with protein (like milk, nuts and so forth.) is a good suggestion as a result of these things will hold you glad and aid you to keep up vitality. Whereas we didn’t lose energy or refrigeration (fortunately!), we deliberate for the chance and had gadgets that might be stored for that point. We additionally ate the refrigerated meals first in order that in case we misplaced energy, they might not be misplaced to us.
- Cost these gadgets. Whereas we have been lucky to not lose energy, many individuals did and we anticipated the chance. We charged my wheelchair (and I solely used it minimally to maximise the batteries) and each our cell telephones. I additionally had my laptop computer, so we charged that up too. We wished to have all choices doable for communications in case we would have liked to get assist and for arranging our return journey.
Each emergency scenario is exclusive, nevertheless it’s essential to contemplate what it’s possible you’ll want and plan forward as a lot as doable.