The storm is likely to be over, however that doesn’t imply the hazard is. Maintain your family members secure after the storm by following our security suggestions.
Keep Protected Indoors
By no means use a moist electrical machine
- If it’s nonetheless plugged in, flip off the ability on the fundamental breaker. Look ahead to an electrician to verify the machine earlier than utilizing it.
- Be taught extra about electrical security after a catastrophe or emergency.
If the ability is out, use flashlights as a substitute of candles
- If you need to use candles, preserve them away from something that may catch hearth. All the time keep close to lit candles.
- Be taught extra about hazards associated to energy outages.
Watch out close to broken buildings
- Needless to say hurricanes can injury buildings and make them unsafe. If your private home or one other constructing has been broken, be sure that it’s secure earlier than going inside.
- Depart your private home or one other constructing instantly for those who hear shifting or uncommon noises. Unusual noises may imply it’s about to fall.
Stop carbon monoxide poisoning
Fuel or coal-burning gear creates carbon monoxide. This will embrace gear like turbines, strain washers, charcoal grills, and camp stoves. You’ll be able to’t odor it or see it, but when carbon monoxide builds up in your house, it’s very harmful. To maintain your loved ones secure:
- By no means use fuel or coal-burning gear inside your private home, basement, or storage. Maintain it exterior and no less than 20 ft from any window, door, or vent.
- Use a battery-operated or battery backup CO detector any time you employ a generator or the rest that burns gasoline
- By no means run a automobile or truck inside a storage hooked up to your private home, even with the storage door open.
- By no means warmth your private home with a fuel oven.
- In case you have a carbon monoxide detector and it begins beeping, go away your private home instantly and name 911.
- To be secure, study the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. When you suppose that carbon monoxide might need made you or a member of the family sick, go to a health care provider or hospital instantly.
- Try Carbon Monoxide Poisoning After a Catastrophe for extra data.
Keep Protected Outdoor
- All the time observe warnings about flooded roads.
- Don’t drive by floodwater– it might be deeper than you suppose.
- If you need to be in or close to floodwater, put on a life jacket — particularly if the water is rising.
- Needless to say floodwater typically carries germs. When you contact it, you’ll want to wash your arms with cleaning soap and water. When you don’t have cleaning soap or water, use alcohol-based wipes or sanitizer.
- Go to Flood Waters or Standing Waters for extra data.
Steer clear of energy traces and harmful supplies
- Keep away from fallen energy traces. Name the electrical firm to report them.
- Be careful for energy traces overhead.
- Be taught extra on learn how to defend your self from electrical hazards after a catastrophe.
Shield your self from animals and pests
- Floods can convey mosquitoes that carry illness. Use insect repellent (bug spray) with DEET or Picaridin. Put on lengthy sleeves, pants, and socks if you’re exterior.
- Steer clear of wild or stray animals after a storm. Name 911 or your public well being division to report them.
- When you see a useless animal, report it to native officers.
- Learn extra about rabies, a illness typically unfold by animal bites.
- Be taught extra on learn how to defend your self from animals or pests after a catastrophe.
Try Truth Sheet: Clear Up Safely After a Catastrophe for extra data on cleansing up after a hurricane.
Be taught extra
- Flood Water After a Catastrophe or Emergency