2017-2018 Flu Vaccine Replace
Go to the Mercola Video Library
Story at-a-glance –
- On the finish of 2015, a Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention (CDC) evaluation revealed that, between 2005 and 2015, the influenza vaccine was lower than 50 % efficient greater than half of the time
- In the course of the 2015/2016 flu season, FluMist, the dwell virus nasal spray, had a failure fee of 97 %. The CDC didn’t advocate it final yr and nonetheless recommends in opposition to utilizing it throughout the 2017-2018 flu season
- Shoulder accidents associated to vaccine administration, which incorporates persistent ache, restricted vary of movement, nerve harm and frozen shoulder, are usually the results of the injection being administered too excessive on the arm
- The 2016-2017 flu vaccine, which was very well-matched to circulating viral strains and hailed as “one of the vital efficient in years,” turned out to be one other dismal failure
- The vaccine had no clear impact in these between the ages of 18 and 49. Ditto for the aged. Amongst younger youngsters, the effectiveness was about 60 %. In different age teams, the effectiveness topped out at 42 %
By Dr. Mercola
It is that time once more. Flu season. And with it, a continuing barrage of reminders to get your annual flu shot. Curiously sufficient, what you are being advised in regards to the influenza vaccine’s effectiveness and the truth are two very completely different tales. In January 2015, U.S. authorities officers admitted that, in most years, flu photographs are — at greatest — 50 to 60 % efficient at stopping lab confirmed kind A or B influenza requiring medical care.1
At the tip of that very same yr, a Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention (CDC) evaluation2 of flu vaccine effectiveness revealed that, between 2005 and 2015, the influenza vaccine was truly lower than 50 % efficient greater than half of the time. I’m wondering if the truth could be even worse than that.
Analysis from 2011 reveals simply how straightforward it’s to inflate efficacy charges just by utilizing completely different finish factors.three At the moment, they discovered that through the use of serologic measures, i.e., the rise in influenza antibodies recognized within the blood, leads to an overestimation of vaccine efficacy.
Throughout the 2015/2016 flu season, FluMist, the dwell virus nasal spray that usually has been beneficial for kids in recent times, had a failure fee of 97 %.four Its failure was so epic, the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices beneficial FluMist be taken off the listing of beneficial flu vaccines for the 2016-2017 season, a advice CDC officers ended up heeding. There are numerous different examples of the influenza vaccine not defending individuals as promised. So, what may we anticipate from the vaccine this yr?
2017 Flu Vaccine Lineup
Flu vaccines are by their nature a difficult enterprise as a result of influenza viruses are continually evolving and public well being officers should guess at the least six months earlier than the flu season begins which kind A and B influenza virus strains will likely be predominantly in circulation so drug corporations can manufacture the vaccines. When the strains chosen don’t match the strains truly inflicting most of the illness in any given flu season, the vaccine’s failure fee considerably will increase.
Even when there is a good match, the flu vaccine’s effectiveness is estimated to be between 40 and 60 %,5 that means that, at greatest, public well being officers imagine you may have a 60 % decrease probability of not getting sick with influenza should you get a flu shot. But it surely could possibly be as little as 40 %. Put one other method, it’s nonetheless a coin toss no matter which method you have a look at it.
Earlier than reviewing influenza vaccines, It is very important keep in mind that almost all of respiratory influenza-like sickness that individuals expertise throughout any given flu season is NOT kind A or B influenza.6 If you get a sore throat, runny nostril, headache, fatigue, low grade fever, physique aches and cough, more often than not it’s one other kind of viral or bacterial respiratory an infection unrelated to influenza viruses.7 There are a number of various kinds of influenza vaccines. This yr, the obtainable vaccine lineup consists of:eight,9
• Trivalent flu vaccines, which goal two influenza A strains and one influenza B pressure:
◦ A/Michigan/45/2015 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus
◦ A/Hong Kong/4801/2014 (H3N2)-like virus
◦ B/Brisbane/60/2008-like (B/Victoria lineage) virus
• Quadrivalent flu vaccines, which include the identical three strains because the trivalent, plus a second influenza B pressure: B/Phuket/3073/2013-like (B/Yamagata lineage) virus. Two various kinds of quadrivalent vaccines are licensed:
◦ An inactivated model (Afluria quadrivalent)
◦ A recombinant model (Flublok quadrivalent)
There are additionally a variety of supply strategies and formulations:
- A high-dose model for seniors over the age of 65, containing 4 instances the quantity of antigen because the common dose of the usual vaccine
- An adjuvanted vaccine (Fluad) for seniors over 65, first obtainable throughout the 2016-2017 season. It accommodates an adjuvant referred to as MF59, described as an oil-in-water emulsion of squalene oil, added to hyper-stimulate a robust inflammatory response to attempt to strengthen synthetic vaccine acquired immunity
- An intradermal flu vaccine for adults between 18 and 64
- An egg-free recombinant model authorized for individuals over the age of four with an egg allergy
- A jet injector (needle-free) vaccine authorized for adults between 18 and 64
Since it was licensed in 2003, a dwell attenuated flu vaccine within the type of a nasal spray has been obtainable however, for the second yr in a row, the CDC is recommending the nasal spray model not be utilized by anybody due to its historical past of ineffectiveness.
New for the 2017-2018 season is a quadrivalent influenza vaccine (Flucelvax) for people over four years outdated that makes use of canine kidney cells (MDCK) for manufacturing.10 Historically, candidate vaccine pressure influenza viruses, i.e., the viruses chosen for inclusion within the vaccine, have been produced utilizing fertilized hen eggs.
The cell-based influenza vaccine viruses are grown in cultured animal cells as an alternative of hen eggs.11 One other comparatively new know-how makes use of insect cells to provide a recombinant quadrivalent influenza vaccine, Flublok, for people over 18 years outdated.12,13
Shoulder Injury Following Flu Vaccination
In October 2015, journalist Marlene Cimons wrote about her expertise following a routine pneumonia vaccination.14 Whereas she mentioned the injection itself damage greater than most different vaccinations, that was nothing in comparison with the ache she developed within the days and months following. “Initially, I dismissed it as typical post-shot soreness,” she writes. “But it surely did not go away.” Months later, her left shoulder was nonetheless in ache. Her orthopedist recognized her with subacromial bursitis — persistent irritation and fluid buildup within the bursa sac.
“I am satisfied this occurred as a result of the nurse injected the vaccine too excessive on my arm. I had no signs earlier than the shot, and ache has continued since. The needle most likely entered the highest third of the deltoid muscle — which varieties the rounded contours of the shoulder — and doubtless went into the bursa or the rotator cuff, as an alternative of decrease down, into the center half of the muscle, lacking the bursa and rotator cuff fully,” Cimons writes.
In a latest Fb publish, ABC Motion Information journalist Ashley Glass additionally complained of shoulder ache, saying she may “barely transfer my arm now,” following her flu shot.15 Because it seems, shoulder harm following vaccination16 is a recognized aspect impact of improper injection.
In a 2011 report, “Opposed Results of Vaccines: Proof and Causality,”17 the Institute of Drugs acknowledged that shoulder accidents are one of many doable antagonistic results of vaccine injections, stating it discovered “convincing proof of a causal relationship between injection of vaccine … and deltoid bursitis, or frozen shoulder, characterised by shoulder ache and loss of movement.”
Injection Web site Accidents Turning into Extra Frequent
In accordance with Dr. G. Russell Huffman, affiliate professor of orthopedic surgical procedure on the Hospital of the College of Pennsylvania (cited by Cimons), shoulder damage associated to vaccine administration, also referred to as SIRVA, consists of persistent ache, restricted vary of movement, nerve harm, frozen shoulder and rotator cuff tears, and are usually the results of the injection being administered too excessive on the arm.
Somewhat than being injected into the muscle, the vaccine is injected into the bursa or joint area and, since vaccines are designed to provoke an immune response, the immune system finally ends up attacking the bursa sac, resulting in the consequences simply talked about.
A part of the issue seems to be associated to extra individuals receiving their vaccinations outdoors of a medical setting, similar to in pharmacies and grocery shops. Many will merely pull down the highest of their shirt, exposing solely the higher a part of their deltoid, thereby rising their danger of getting the injection within the fallacious space.
Regardless of the trigger, reviews of SIRVA have undoubtedly elevated in recent times,18 as has SIRVA circumstances settled within the federal vaccine damage court docket. Between 2011 and 2015, 112 sufferers have been compensated for SIRVA and over 50 % of these circumstances have been introduced in 2015.19,20 In 2016, 202 SIRVA circumstances have been awarded damages by the nationwide Vaccine Harm Compensation Program (NVICP) created by Congress below the Nationwide Childhood Vaccine Harm Act of 1986.21
In July 2015, the Division of Well being and Human Companies proposed including SIRVA to the NVICP Vaccine Harm Desk (VIT), noting that, “The scientific proof convincingly helps a causal relationship between an injection-related occasion and deltoid bursitis.” By including it to the desk, SIRVA circumstances introduced earlier than the federal government’s vaccine court docket will likely be simpler and sooner, permitting injured sufferers to obtain compensation faster.
SIRVA, as effectively as Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS), have been two vaccine reactions formally added to the VIT earlier this yr, and applies to petitions for compensation filed below NVICP on or after March 21, 2017.22,23 One of many first case research24 to acknowledge SIRVA was revealed in 2006. Clusters of GBS circumstances have been famous amongst U.S. army personnel receiving the H1N1 influenza vaccine as early as 1976.25
It took a decade to get SIRVA added to the NVICP’s damage desk. If it takes that lengthy for the federal government to acknowledge that vaccine injection website accidents are actual, think about what it takes to show different vaccine accidents.
For GBS, it took extra than 4 many years. Is it any marvel then that many very severe vaccine-related neurological issues nonetheless haven’t made it onto that listing — and a few have even been taken OFF the listing by authorities officers reluctant to award compensation — contemplating the far-ranging ramifications it might need for the childhood vaccination program? 26
The Extra Flu Vaccines You Get, the Extra Probably You may Get Sick
It appears no matter how poor influenza vaccine effectiveness is, the nationwide name for everybody to get a flu shot each single yr stays. However is getting an annual flu shot actually “one of the best ways” to guard your self in opposition to influenza? Analysis incessantly suggests in any other case. A latest article in Science Journal27 delves into among the finer factors about individuality and the way individuals’s immune responses range relying on plenty of various factors, together with the age at which you are uncovered to the flu for the very first time.
That publicity will truly affect how your immune system responds for the remainder of your life. Figuring out this, what sort of results may one anticipate when the first publicity to influenza viruses are vaccine viruses? It is a gamble that no one has the reply to as of but. Different research have proven that:
With every successive annual flu vaccination, the theoretical safety from the vaccine seems to decrease.28,29 Analysis revealed in 2014 concluded that resistance to influenza-related sickness in individuals over age 9 years within the U.S. was best amongst those that had NOT obtained a flu shot within the earlier 5 years.30
The flu vaccine may additionally enhance your danger of contracting different, extra severe influenza infections.
Statin medication — taken by 1 in four People over the age of 45 — might undermine your immune system’s capability to reply to the influenza vaccine.33,34 After vaccination, antibody concentrations have been 38 % to 67 % decrease in statin customers over the age of 65, in comparison with non-statin customers of the similar age.35 Antibody concentrations have been additionally lowered in youthful individuals who took statins.
Unbiased science opinions have additionally concluded that flu photographs don’t seem to stop influenza or problems of influenza.36,37 Influenza vaccine doesn’t seem to stop influenza-like sickness related to different varieties of viruses answerable for about 80 % of all respiratory or gastrointestinal infections throughout any given flu season.38,39,40,41
Analysis42 revealed in 2006, which analyzed influenza-related mortality among the many aged inhabitants in Italy related to elevated vaccination protection between 1970 and 2001, discovered that after the 1980s, there was no corresponding decline in extra deaths, regardless of rising vaccine uptake.
In accordance with the authors, “These findings counsel that both the vaccine failed to guard the aged in opposition to mortality (probably because of immune senescence), and/or the vaccination efforts didn’t adequately goal the frailest aged. As within the U.S., our examine challenges present methods to greatest shield the aged in opposition to mortality, warranting the necessity for higher managed trials with various vaccination methods.”
One other 2006 examine43 confirmed that, although seniors vaccinated in opposition to influenza had a 44 % lowered danger of dying throughout flu season than unvaccinated seniors, those that have been vaccinated have been additionally 61 % much less prefer to die BEFORE the flu season ever began.
This discovering has since been attributed to a “wholesome consumer impact,” the thought of which is that older individuals who get vaccinated in opposition to influenza are already more healthy and subsequently much less prone to die anyway, whereas those that don’t get the shot have suffered a decline in well being in latest months.
Examine Suggests Flu Vaccination Throughout Being pregnant Can Trigger Miscarriage
In 2009, reviews of miscarriage following administration of the pandemic H1N1 (pH1N1) swine flu vaccine began rising.44 Dozens of ladies claimed they misplaced their infants hours or days after getting the pH1N1 vaccine, which had not been examined on pregnant ladies (if it was, the proof was by no means revealed). Not surprisingly, these cases have been handed off by well being officers as coincidental. In spite of everything, miscarriages do occur, and for any variety of completely different causes.
Alas, scientific findings revealed September 25, 2017, within the medical journal Vaccine45,46,47 counsel this spike in miscarriage reviews might not have been a fluke in any case. Researchers discovered that girls who had obtained a pH1N1-containing flu shot two years in a row have been, in reality, extra prone to undergo miscarriage throughout the following 28 days. Whereas many of the miscarriages occurred throughout the first trimester, a number of additionally befell within the second trimester.
The median fetal time period on the time of miscarriage was seven weeks. In all, 485 pregnant ladies aged 18 to 44 who had a miscarriage throughout the flu seasons of 2010/2011 and 2011/2012 have been in comparison with 485 pregnant ladies who carried their infants to time period. Of the 485 ladies who miscarried, 17 had been vaccinated twice in a row — as soon as within the 28 days prior to vaccination and as soon as within the earlier yr. For comparability, of the 485 ladies who had regular pregnancies, solely 4 had been vaccinated two years in a row.
Whereas examine authors said that direct causation couldn’t be established, they referred to as for extra analysis to evaluate the hyperlink. Commenting on the examine, which was funded by the CDC, Amanda Cohn, CDC adviser for vaccines said:
“I assume it is actually essential for girls to know that it is a doable hyperlink, and it’s a doable hyperlink that must be studied and must be regarded at over extra [flu] seasons. We have to perceive if it is the flu vaccine, or is that this a bunch of ladies [who received flu vaccines] who have been additionally extra doubtless to have miscarriages.”
At current, the CDC isn’t making any modifications to its advice for pregnant ladies, which states they will and will get a flu shot at any level throughout their being pregnant, irrespective of which trimester they’re in.48 That is irresponsible public well being coverage at its worst, putting the well being of ladies and their unborn youngsters in peril so companies can revenue.
Bear in mind, the previous head of the CDC, Julie Gerberding, left the CDC in 2009 to later develop into president of Merck Vaccines, a place she held till December 2014, when she turned Merck’s govt vice chairman of strategic communications, world public coverage and inhabitants well being.49 She’s a poster-child for the revolving door between authorities and trade, and a clear instance of how that door is working in opposition to defending the general public well being and security.
Fraudulent Promoting Is the Norm for Flu Vaccines
Now we discover out that the 2016-2017 influenza vaccine, which public well being officers acknowledged was very well-matched to circulating viral strains and was hailed in February 2017 as “one of the vital efficient in years,”50 truly turned out to be one other moderately ineffective dud.
In accordance with the CDC, 100 % of circulating H1N1, 95 % of the H3N2, 90.6 % of the Victoria B lineage viruses and 100 % of the Yamagata B lineage viruses have been much like the vaccine virus parts for the 2016-2017 season.51
In different phrases, the match-up between the vaccine strains and the circulating strains inflicting kind A or B influenza sickness was about nearly as good as you can ever hope for and, primarily based on interim estimates in February, the CDC reported vaccinated people have been 59 % much less prone to get sick than unvaccinated people.52
Dr. Joseph Bresee, CDC’s influenza division’s affiliate director of world well being affairs, advised NBC Information this was “excellent news and underscores the significance and the advantage of each annual and ongoing vaccination efforts this season.”53 Quick-forward 4 months, and the excellent news become a report of final yr’s seasonal flu shot being one more dismal failure.
It seems the 2016-2017 influenza vaccine had “no clear impact” in these between the ages of 18 and 49. Ditto for the aged. In actual fact, influenza-related hospitalizations amongst seniors have been the very best they have been because the 2014-2015 season, which was rated as “extreme.”
Amongst younger youngsters, the effectiveness was about 60 %.54 In older youngsters and adults between the ages of 50 and 64, the general effectiveness topped out at about 42 %, by way of stopping sickness extreme sufficient to ship you to the hospital or physician’s workplace.
As reported by U.S. Information & World Report,55 “In 4 of the final seven flu seasons, influenza vaccine was primarily ineffective in seniors, previous research counsel. The worst performances are usually in H3N2-dominant seasons.”
Final yr, H3N2 kind A influenza, which is related to extra extreme sickness and elevated mortality amongst seniors and really younger youngsters, was probably the most prevalent influenza pressure circulating within the U.S.56 Thus far, CDC influenza surveillance information signifies that H3N2 is probably the most prevalent pressure circulating within the U.S. this yr, as effectively.57
Yow will discover an inventory of adjusted vaccine effectiveness estimates for every influenza season going again to 2005 till 2016 on the CDC’s Seasonal Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness, 2005-2017 webpage.58 advised U.S. Information & World Report, “Whereas it’s clear we want higher flu vaccines, it is essential that we not lose sight of the essential advantages of vaccination with at the moment obtainable vaccines.”
What precisely these “essential advantages” are was left unsaid. Personally, I can not consider a single one. I can, nevertheless, level to plenty of well-documented dangers of hurt and failure related to influenza vaccine, which individuals take yr after yr, whereas apparently getting nearly no profit in any respect.
- 1 MMWR January 16, 2015; 64(01): 10-15
- 2 CDC, December 21, 2015 Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness: How Effectively Does the Flu Vaccine Work?
- three Center for Infectious Illness Analysis and Coverage March 11, 2011
- four, 34 STAT Information September 28, 2016
- 5 CDC.gov, Vaccine Effectiveness
- 6 CDC.gov, Feb. 19, 2016. Replace: Influenza Exercise – United States Oct. four, 2015-Feb. 6, 2016.
- 7 WebMD. Mar. 14, 2017. “Flu-Like” Diseases Unfold Distress Nationwide
- eight CDC.gov, Flu Data for 2017-2018
- 9 Live Science August 15, 2017
- 10 FDA.gov. Flucelvax Quadrivalent. April 2017
- 11 CDC.gov. Cell-Primarily based Flu Vaccines
- 12 CDC.gov. How Influenza (flu) Vaccines Are Made
- 13 FDA.gov. March 2017. Flublok Quadrivalent – Protein Sciences Corp.
- 14 Washington Put up October 26, 2015
- 15 March In opposition to Monsanto October 23, 2017
- 16 CBS Information March 6, 2017
- 17 Institute of Drugs, Opposed Results of Vaccines: Proof and Causality
- 18, 21 AAP Information September 1, 2017
- 19 Wall Road Journal August 24, 2015
- 20 Wired September three, 2015
- 22 Myvaccinelawyer.com August 7, 2017
- 23 HRSA.gov, Vaccine Harm Desk, relevant on or after March 21, 2017
- 24 Vaccine 2007; 25: 585-587 (PDF)
- 25 World Well being Group, Guillain-Barre Syndrome and Influenza Vaccine (PDF)
- 26 National Vaccine Data Middle (NVIC). Aug. 27, 2014.
- 27 STAT Information September 28, 2016
- 28 Vaccine December 1998;16(20):1929-32
- 29 STAT Information November 11, 2015
- 30 Clinical Infectious Illnesses 2014; 59 (10): 1375-1385
- 31 CIDRAP April 6, 2010
- 32 Science Day by day Could 20, 2009
- 33 STAT Information October 29, 2015
- 35 Journal of Infectious Illness October 28, 2015
- 36 The Cochrane Library July 7, 2010
- 37 Cochrane Database of Systematic Opinions 2012; Problem eight
- 38 FDA. 94th Assembly of Vaccines and Associated Organic Merchandise Advisory Committee Transcript. Feb. 20, 2003
- 39 CDC Seasonal Influenza Q&A. Aug. 15, 2014
- 40 CDC 2014-2015 Influenza Season Week 51 Ending December 20, 2014
- 41 JAMA Intern Med 2013; 173(11): 1014-1016
- 42 Vaccine 2006 Oct 30;24(42-43):6468-75
- 43 International Journal of Epidemiology April 1, 2006; 35(2): 337-344
- 44 Organic Well being November 11, 2009
- 45 Vaccine September 25, 2017; 35(40): 5314-5322
- 46 Nola.com September 14, 2017
- 47 Fortune September 13, 2017
- 48 U.S. Information September 13, 2017
- 49 Business Wire December 10, 2014
- 50, 53 NBC Information February 24, 2017
- 51, 56 CDC.gov, FAQ 2016-2017 Influenza Season
- 52 CDC.gov Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report February 17, 2017; 66(6): 167-171
- 54, 55 US Information June 21, 2017
- 57 CDC.gov. Oct. 27, 2017. Weekly US Influenza Surveillance Report.
- 58 CDC.gov, Seasonal Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness, 2005-2017